A number of allotments are provided in Yetminster.
An allotment site is situated adjacent to the sports ground.
25 allotments are available for parishioners at a rental fee of £30 per year (£15 for those over the age of 65). Half plots are available. The soil is good and a water supply is available on site.
Further details may be obtained from the Clerk to the Parish Council.
Gardening Jobs for January and February
- Tomato and chilli seeds can be sown in trays and placed either on a sunny windowsill or in a heated propagator. The lack of light can result in leggy plants so considering create a tin foil reflector on the north side of the trays to increase the amount of light
- Onions can be sown, but they like cool conditions
- If the ground is dry enough, compete your winter digging
- Dig a runner bean trench and fill with kitchen compost
- Continue to lift leeks, swedes and parsnips
- Prune apple and pear trees but not plum and damsons
- Turn the compost heap
- Air the greenhouse
- Wash all seed trays and pots
- Read through your seed catalogues and get ordering
- If it is warm broad beans and peas can be sown into the ground in late February
- Start forcing rhubarb in late February
- The end of February is sowing heaven for the gardener with a greenhouse (or lots of windowsills); lettuce, sprouts, summer cabbages, beetroot in plugs, lobelia, begonia, hollyhocks
- Cover the ground with cloches or plastic to heat up the soil