Useful contact details

There are many phone numbers to think about during an emergency. To help you here are the main ones,


In an emergency, as always, dial 999 if life is in danger.


In non-emergency situations but where you also need to speak to law enforcement – dial 101 from a Dorset landline or 01305 222 222 from a UK mobile, to speak to Dorset Police.


Flood Warnings Guide
The Environment Agency (EA), Natural Resources Wales (NRW) and Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) constantly monitor rainfall, river levels and sea conditions to forecast the possibility of flooding. If flooding is forecast, three types of warning are issued: flood alerts, flood warnings and severe flood warnings. Warning services for areas at risk of flooding from rivers or the sea are provided by the Environment Agency (EA) for England, Natural Resources Wales (NRW) for Wales and the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA). In Northern Ireland the Met Office works closely with partners to raise awareness of weather events which may result in flooding impacts on people and property.

Find out if you’re at risk of flooding
Find out if you are in an area that likely to flood by clicking here

If you do live in area likely to flood you can find out if you’re at immediate risk of flooding by checking flood warnings and river levels. Click here to view current flood warnings and click here to view river levels

You can also find out if you at risk of flooding in the next 5 days by clicking here

(The information on the flood warnings page is updated every 15 minutes so remember to refresh your browser to ensure that you are viewing the latest warnings).

Sign up for flood warnings
You can receive warnings of potential flooding by phone, email or text message if your home or business is at risk of flooding. The service is free

Click here to sign up to get warnings in England.
You’ll need to provide:
• the address you’re registering
• a phone number you can be contacted on day or night
• an email address

Floodline – for updates by telephone: 0345 988 1188
Also see the Dorset for You flooding pages for more information or to report flooding to property.

Sandbags and Local Flooding Advice

Click here for advice on the Dorset Website about sandbags and flooding

Flooding to Roads

If there is an active emergency on the road and if life is in danger, phone 999 for the emergency services.

To report flooding of a road during office hours (between 8.30am and 5.30pm Monday to Friday) Call 01305 221020

To report flooding of a road out of office hours (Available 5.30pm – 8.30am Monday to Friday, all weekend and public holidays – please also see Christmas and New Year opening hours DCC website)

Call 01305 221020 – follow the prompts to be transferred to our out-of-hours call centre. Your report will be immediately raised with the on-duty highways engineer.

Help the Highways Engineer to help you quicker – please be as detailed as possible about the location of the incident you are calling about, use points of reference and road names as this will help speed up the process of recording your enquiry and means it can be found quicker.
During severe weather events, you may have to hold the line for an operator.

Minor reports and all general enquiries – if your enquiry is not of an urgent nature, please use the DCC Highways online form.

Highway Enquiries

If the problem you wish to report is urgent and requires immediate attention, which could include:

• Fallen trees and branches
• Landslips on the road
• Flooding on the road

Telephone Dorset County Council During office hours (8.30am – 5.30pm) – 01305 22 1020
Out of hours (weekends, evenings and public holidays) – 01305 22 1020
All other enquiries can be recorded using the Dorset for You online form
Live travel alerts are updated with the latest travel news during severe weather.


To report a power cut or dangerous situation, contact SSE Power Distribution for free on 0800 072 7282


If you suspect a gas leak call the National Gas Emergencies helpline for free on 0800 111 999


If you find a leak or burst pipe in your home, call a plumber as soon as possible – look up a number in the Yellow Pages (other information services are available online)  or any other good telephone directory. Your Insurance Provider may also provide a 24 hr emergency service.

If your supply fails, you will need to contact your supplier, which is either: Wessex Water (0345 600 4 600)  or South West Water (0800 230 0561),


Use the links on the Dorset for You public transport updates page to see updates from public transport operators. Live travel alerts are updated with the latest travel news during severe weather.


Every effort has been made to provide the correct information to use in an Emergency. However neither Yetminster & Ryme Intrinseca Parish Council and /or its nominated Councillors or others associated with the Council accept any responsibility or blame for the accuracy of this information or for any action or activity occasioned by its use.  Use of the information which is obtained from 3rd parties is solely at the user’s liability.

Last updated 02/07/2021 DT